According to the Mayo Clinic, “Good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices can help delay the natural aging process and prevent various skin problems.” The state of your skin is an important aspect of overall healthcare. The following five steps will help you maintain better skincare during the winter season.
- Eat a healthy diet. By maintaining a healthy diet including fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins, you can fuel your body with the nutrients it needs to support healthy body function and healthy skin. Don’t forget to add water to your nutrition plan. Having enough water in your system is a vital component to maintaining a healthy system.
- Don’t forget your vitamins. Maintaining a healthy diet is a great way to keep your skin healthy but you will also want to add vitamins to your daily regimen if you have not done so already. Be sure to pay close attention to the RDA. The amount of each vitamin and mineral needed daily to meet the needs of nearly all healthy people, as determined by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine. RDAs for vitamins and minerals are based on your sex, age and physical condition, such as pregnancy.
- Protect yourself from sun. You may think the sun cannot have as much as an effect on your skin in the winter. The sun can still very well impact your skin. Therefore, sunscreen should also be worn during winter months. Use at least an SPF 15, which can be found in many skin care moisturizers.
- Do Not Smoke. This means avoid smoking in any form this includes, e-vapor pens, cigarettes, hookah, etc. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Smoking also damages collagen and elastin — the fibers that give your skin strength and elasticity. In addition, the repetitive facial expressions you make when smoking — such as pursing your lips when inhaling and squinting your eyes to keep out smoke — can contribute to wrinkles.”
- Establish a Good Skincare Routine. Your skincare regimen should include a gentle cleanser with warm water, use of a good toner, and a skin moisturizer. Don’t be afraid to massage the skin when applying moisturizer. Not only does it feel great, but it helps stimulate skin cells.
By watching what you put in your body and place on your skin, you can position yourself to have better skin. If you need assistance with your skincare regimen, Intown Primary Care utilizes MDRejuvena Skin Care products for all non-invasive procedures. MDRejuvena products are designed to help minimize the appearance of premature skin aging, skin damage, hyperpigmentation, acne, and sun damage.